Project
The Architects Collaborative 1945–1995: Tracing a Diffuse Architectural Authorship

This gallery exhibition and accompanying digital wiki tool displays and makes accessible the authors’ significant original documentation, mapping, and historical study of the vast architectural output of The Architects Collaborative (TAC). The authors have combed archives, historical architectural publications, office records, property databases, genealogy tools, and many other sources to compile and geotag hundreds of previously-unpublished built projects by TAC. This body of work shows the normalization of radical precepts of modernism into vernacular, especially in the building types of schools, housing, and healthcare. Founded in 1945 by eight equal partners, TAC was the largest exclusively architectural office in the US by the 1970s. Their internal record lists about 1,500 jobs (1945–83), although only a handful of these are commonly known. This project seeks to trace the mainstreaming of the subtly political modernism that the group so carefully used to both erase as style and embrace as philosophy.